I have discovered during a Google Drive Enterprise implementation, two significant issues with ‘gsheet’ and ‘gdoc’ links.

  1.  Google File Stream does NOT support their own .gsheet files and will not upload them.  Also, if you had links within your drive they will no longer work.
  2. When you use Google Backup and Sync to upload the .gsheet file links, once they finish uploading, something in the Google upload process manipulates the url’s within the files and they link to some version of the file, but not the most current one. *** This is Fix-able – please follow below!

The only way I have found it to resolve Issue #2 is to run a one line script against the .gsheet and .gdoc files.  Ideally they are all in the same folder, or in sub folders off the same main folder.

Run these commands (from within those folders) to change the .gsheet and .gdoc files to text files:

Get-ChildItem -Filter “*gsheet*” -Recurse | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace ‘gsheet’,’txt’ }

Get-ChildItem -Filter “*gdoc*” -Recurse | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace ‘gdoc’,’txt1’ }

This will finish up pretty quickly.  Once it completes you can then place it within the folders that backup and sync using.  They will then upload to Google Drive – unedited by Google.

Next, you need to run these commands to change the files back to gsheet / gdoc files:

Get-ChildItem -Filter “*txt*” -Recurse | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace ‘txt’,’gsheet’ }

Get-ChildItem -Filter “*txt1*” -Recurse | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace ‘txt1’,’gdoc’ }

Now, the files should have the same content and will not be changed by Google!

IT Support

Subscribe To Tutorial Updates

Join the list to be notified when new tutorials are posted, or updates are made!

You have Successfully Subscribed!